Pendleton, OR asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Federal Crimes and Criminal Law for Colorado

Q: If a person is in jail and told they don't need to attend their dispostion hearing what should they do?

A 20 yr old man was arrested in a sting opperation with a "16yr old" girl. The man was released and sentanced to probation. He has been in jail since February 18. Yesterday was his dispostion hearing, he was told he didnt need to attend that they will handle it all on the 27th of March.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If the man was told by his lawyer or a court official that he does not need to attend his disposition hearing, then he should follow their instructions. However, if he is unsure or uncomfortable with not attending the hearing, he should contact his lawyer or the court to clarify and discuss his concerns. It's important to make sure that he fully understands the situation and his options to make an informed decision.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.