Torrance, CA asked in Divorce, Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for California

Q: Can I request case transfer from "Van Nuys" court to "LA downtown" court?

My wife filed a Domestic Violence Temporary Restraining Order (DV TRO) against me in Van Nuys, and I was served. I also filed an FL-100 in LA, which is in the same county but has not been served yet. Can I request a case transfer by filing an RFO to Van nuys court even if the FL-100 has not been served yet?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: It is possible to request a case transfer from one courthouse to another, but the specific process and requirements will depend on the rules and procedures of the court where your case is currently pending.

In general, you may be able to file a motion or request for order (RFO) to transfer the case to a different courthouse. However, you will need to provide a valid reason for the transfer, such as inconvenience, hardship, or a change in circumstances. It's also possible that the other court may need to approve the transfer before it can be granted.

As for whether you can file the RFO before your FL-100 has been served, it's best to consult with an attorney or the court clerk to determine the specific requirements and deadlines for filing such a request in your particular case.

Overall, it's important to act quickly and seek legal advice if you are facing a domestic violence restraining order or other legal issues. An experienced attorney can help you navigate the complex legal system and protect your rights and interests.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.