Q: What type of lawsuit is for 5 programmers hacking into several people through my devices and using my SS#. Breached FBI

Computer geek battle. I have everything for a lawsuit, but can’t find an interested firm. I have evidence to support my claims and friends want out from being hacked.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: The type of lawsuit you may be able to bring against the individuals who hacked into your devices and used your SS# would depend on the specific facts and circumstances of your case, as well as the applicable laws in your jurisdiction.

Some possible legal claims you may be able to pursue could include:

Civil Action for Computer Fraud and Abuse Act (CFAA) Violations: The CFAA is a federal law that makes it illegal to intentionally access a computer without authorization or exceed authorized access, and obtain information from such a computer. If the individuals who hacked into your devices did so without authorization and obtained information from your computer, they may be in violation of the CFAA.

Civil Action for Violation of State Privacy Laws: Many states have their own laws that protect against computer hacking and invasion of privacy. If the individuals who hacked into your devices violated any of these laws, you may be able to bring a civil action against them.

Civil Action for Identity Theft: If the individuals who hacked into your devices used your SS# without your authorization, they may be in violation of federal and state laws related to identity theft.

Civil Action for Negligence: If the individuals who hacked into your devices were responsible for maintaining the security of the systems they hacked into, you may be able to bring a negligence claim against them for failing to take reasonable steps to protect against hacking.

It's important to note that pursuing legal action can be complex and challenging, and it's important to have a solid understanding of the law and the evidence needed to support your claims. You may want to consult with an experienced attorney who can evaluate the specific facts of your case and advise you on your legal rights and options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.