Little Rock, AR asked in Criminal Law and Libel & Slander for Arkansas

Q: Can i press charges against an adult if they come to my workplace and threaten to assault me along with their children?

I'm a manager a fast-food establishment and i sent an employee home. That employee then calls her mother to the restaurant and proceeds to threaten me along with other family members. They threw drinks and metal rods at me, called me everything but a Child of God.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Lane Hughes
Richard Lane Hughes
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Little Rock, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: You can, and probably should, report the incident to the police and your local prosecuting attorney. The prosecutor has the discretion and duty to determine if the offending persons will be charged with violating the law based upon the facts that you provide along with any facts the police gather in connection with the matter.

The notion is that criminal conduct is an offense against the state. You do not have the power to charge anyone with a crime. The term "press charges" is misleading. You report facts and the state determines what happens, if anything.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.