Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Libel & Slander legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Arkansas Libel & Slander Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Criminal Law, Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for Arkansas on
Q: If county police refuse to investigate harrassment by person who has already assaulted me in past what can I do

My ssn was on previous report I made when investigating. nco order violations. Which has caused issues ever since. nothing has been done and years of abuse

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Dec 24, 2023

If you're facing a situation where local law enforcement is not investigating harassment by someone who has previously assaulted you, there are several steps you can take.

First, consider filing a formal complaint with the police department regarding the lack of investigation. This...
View More

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents, Libel & Slander, Contracts and Employment Law for Arkansas on
Q: I need a lawyer to respond to me now about Hurricane express there are trying to charge me for a accident and a swift

A swift driver hit me in the back

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Sep 2, 2023

A New Mexico attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for three weeks. Your insurance company should defend you - it isn't clear why you're being charged. You could reach out to attorneys to try to arrange a free initial consult. If you have a copy of the police report,... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Libel & Slander for Arkansas on
Q: Can i press charges against an adult if they come to my workplace and threaten to assault me along with their children?

I'm a manager a fast-food establishment and i sent an employee home. That employee then calls her mother to the restaurant and proceeds to threaten me along with other family members. They threw drinks and metal rods at me, called me everything but a Child of God.

Richard Lane Hughes
Richard Lane Hughes
answered on Mar 20, 2023

You can, and probably should, report the incident to the police and your local prosecuting attorney. The prosecutor has the discretion and duty to determine if the offending persons will be charged with violating the law based upon the facts that you provide along with any facts the police gather... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Arkansas on
Q: I believe i am a victim of defamation and slander in my workplace and im worried that this will cause me to be demoted.

I believe i am a victim of defamation and slander in my workplace and im worried that this will cause me to be demoted from my position that i have worked hard to get. I've tried to go to hr and my manager, but nothing has been done. Hr just redirects me to my manager and i do not like... View More

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jan 17, 2023

An Arkansas attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. For the slander issues, you could try to arrange a consult with an attorney who handles defamation cases. Unfortunately, these cases are not generally handled on a contingency basis, which could mean paying a law... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Collections and Libel & Slander for Arkansas on
Q: Can you be charged with thrift of property for repoing your own vehicle back from the company cause they repoed it from

Me before the payment was due. Doesn't that mean they were in breach of contract first. And it's in my name how can you steal something that is your

Barry W. Kaufman
Barry W. Kaufman
answered on Jun 24, 2023

Yes. Once your vehicle is taken back by the Lender, you have no right to retake possession without their permission.

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander, Personal Injury and Civil Rights for Arkansas on
Q: am i entitled to compensation for being held in jail until trial charged with capital murder facing death penalty

& life without. happen 2017 released 2018 after trial.. lost everything paying lawyer, phone calls to parents & kids every other day, commissary etc. my life has not been the same.

W. Whitfield Hyman
W. Whitfield Hyman
answered on Apr 24, 2022

Possibly but the statute of limitations on lawsuits like that is typically 3 years. I’m unaware of a way to sue in Arkansas for something like this beyond the three year point. I’m not saying you can’t, I’m just saying I’m not aware of a way to do it. This is not legal advice you need to... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Insurance Bad Faith and Libel & Slander for Arkansas on
Q: Is it unlawful for city workers to park a vehicle on the left side of the road on a highway and impede traffic?

This was on a bridge were the left lane shoulder was not wide enough to the vehicle to be completely out of the left lane. There is a large shoulder lane on the right side of the road. There were also no signs indicating workers were present. This cause traffic to come to a complete stop on the... View More

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jul 9, 2021

An Arkansas attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for a week. As a general matter, something like that could possibly violate local vehicle and traffic/public safety regulations. But municipal vehicles also enjoy more leeway than ordinary vehicles in terms of performing... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Libel & Slander, Family Law and Appeals / Appellate Law for Arkansas on
Q: I was forced to plead guilty to a felony but the person or victim now says they lied on me an would tell them what 2 do?

Felony on husband aggravated assault. We had both been drinking n he lied on me later on a court date I was n rehab due to court order from mis court n was issued a fta felony judge n lawyer said if I didn't plea guilty id set n county for 4 months waiting on a court date my rehab was over 100... View More

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin
answered on Oct 30, 2019

You have a lawyer to whom you should be speaking

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Libel & Slander and Civil Rights for Arkansas on
Q: Can a state employee sue a private citizen in Arkansas? Is there a statute that states this? Can you cite the statute?
Michael Darren O'Quinn
Michael Darren O'Quinn
answered on Aug 26, 2018

It depends. Clearly, a state employee can sue as an individual if a private person has harmed the employee. If the employee is not suing in an individual capacity, but rather for a wrong to the state, then they need state government authorization.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Libel & Slander and Criminal Law for Arkansas on
Q: How to get a Terroristic Act that someone else admitting to doing at the trial, sealed from my record?

I have Power of Attorney for My fiancé, how do I go about helping him to get a Terroristic Act that he did not commit (sealed) from his record? He did not commit the crime & the person who actually did do it, attended the hearing and testified that he did it and not my fiancé. Currently my... View More

W. Whitfield Hyman
W. Whitfield Hyman
answered on Jul 12, 2017

If it is a misdemeanor conviction you have at least 90 days of waiting after you file for the expungement (in this case, a seal) before it is granted, if it even would be with pending charges. If it is a felony then you might have other issues you will run into that will prevent you from sealing... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Arkansas on
Q: My husband was cheating on me with the manager at rent a center were I am leasing my furniture. She was fired from her

Job and is accusing me of getting her fired. I spoke with her regional manager and he advised me to file slander charges against her becauseshe knows why she got fired but Arkansas doesn't have slander charges. She is mad because I told her co worker that she slept with my husband but this... View More

Brian Lehman
Brian Lehman
answered on Jan 7, 2017

Some quick research shows that Arkansas does have a slander cause of action:

You may have meant that in Arkansas, there is no defamation per se. That means you must prove actual damages as a...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Libel & Slander for Arkansas on
Q: My ex wife is spreading info about me on social media yes it's true but it is causing problems with my everyday life

Is there anything I can do about it?

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Aug 25, 2016

It is a violation of your reasonable expectation of privacy.Suggest you contact the lawyer who handled your divorce. Perhaps they can get some type of ancillary order.

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Arkansas on
Q: Deflamation of Character

I have a son who has gotten into some domestic issues with girlfriend at college. He was given a citation to appear Friday then on Tuesday the young lady went on Facebook and posted his picture and also accused him of sexually assaulting another young lady. Do we have legal grounds as far as the... View More

Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot
answered on Nov 11, 2015

This is in the wrong forum. It is defamation not deflamation. And one big problem is that the person who did this is probably judgment proof. In other words she does not have much money. So, you would probably have to pay an attorney a lot to file a suit. What you have asked about is civil, not... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Arkansas on
Q: Wgat to do when the person u tell u have hiv gets mad an has someone post /slander them on facebook
Adam Studnicki
Adam Studnicki
answered on Jul 21, 2015

Talk to a local defamation lawyer about a potential claim.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.