Cottage Grove, OR asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Arizona

Q: Do I have to pay creditors that did not come forward with a claim in probate in Arizona?

I am representing my fathers estate in Arizona probate, I sent out notice to creditors documents to all known creditors, 1 came forward and I paid that one, the rest I have been contacting to see if the balance was charge off. Most have said that a balance remains but a claim wasn’t filed due to the low amount and they asked if I wanted to voluntarily pay the balance. I am not sure if they should be paid since no claim was every submitted.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN

A: If no claim was submitted, then the Estate does not have to pay except possibly for some governmental claims. Is the Estate closed? If not, then consult with a competent AZ attorney about how to close it with minimal payout.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.