Asked in Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Puerto Rico

Q: Where would I file the Request for the transfer of ownership? can this be done online? Where are original records kept?

Assuming that most of the process should have been already done, where would I go to find the measurements of the plot? I had the land surveyed when we started the process back in 2007 when my father passed.I’m pretty sure I have most of these documents. The only thing I don’t have is the title and deeds. I think the transfer of ownership was never done. I also have original copies of the original ‘finca’ where my father’s land originated from . There are measurements there; would there be an archived history that we could get copies from? That would probably help clarify some of the land. Would I able to request them from the township or the Municipal Courts? Please advise me where I can get this information. How I should proceed next.

Thank you for your time and patience.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rafael  Pagan-Colon
Rafael Pagan-Colon
  • San Juan, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Ownership of the property can be established by requesting a registry certification from the Puerto Rico Property Registry (Registro de la Propiedad) with copy of the scanned foils that shows the historical tract of the real estate property. You can physically visit the Registry located in the municipality where the land is located to procure these. Or you may go through a Notary authorized to practice law in Puerto Rico, who can access the Property Registry's Karibe system to procure a registry certification on the property and procure the historical tract to identify whether the plot plan and measurement certification were filed, and when. I would also suggest procuring a title study to confirm the existence or absence of liens against the property. Municipal courts do not have access to this information.

A similar effort would need to be done with the Municipal Center for Income Collection (CRIM, by its Spanish acronym) since each new "finca" should have its own cadaster number. Once the baseline is established regarding ownership of the property and whether or not it has been segregated, we'll know what additional steps would need to be taken

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.