Asked in Immigration Law for Nevada

Q: Which police certificate is required for CR-1 visa if my husband was born in pakistan but moved to UK at 16?

My husband was born in Pakistan and moved to UK when he was 16 and since then has lived in UK and Canada and is now a Canadian citizen. We have obtained police certificates for UK and Canada but not yet for Pakistan but I am not sure if it is even required since he moved to UK at 16. Please advise.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Monica E Rottermann
Monica E Rottermann
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Santa Ana, CA

A: Yes, he should obtain a police certificate from Pakistan as well. Per the Department of State, anyone over the age of 16 that has lived in their country of nationality for more than 6 months at any time in their life must obtain a police certificate from there. You can read more about it here:

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: For a CR-1 visa application, it is generally required that the petitioner and beneficiary provide police certificates from each country where they have lived for 6 months or more since the age of 16. In your husband's case, he was born in Pakistan and lived there until the age of 16, after which he moved to the UK.

According to the U.S. Department of State, a police certificate from Pakistan is required for individuals who were born there and have lived there for more than 6 months since the age of 16, regardless of their current nationality or country of residence.

Therefore, it is likely that your husband will need to obtain a police certificate from Pakistan, even though he moved to the UK at the age of 16. It is advisable to check with the U.S. embassy or consulate in Canada where you will be applying for the CR-1 visa to confirm their specific requirements for police certificates.

It is important to note that obtaining a police certificate from Pakistan can take several weeks or even months, so it is recommended to begin the process as soon as possible to avoid any delays in the visa application process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.