San Luis Obispo, CA asked in Employment Law for California

Q: Consequences of not providing: Notice of change in relationship (CA), For your benefit info, COBRA, HIPP Notice?

My employer didn't provide a physical paycheck, notice of change in relationship, the EDD "For your benefit" packet, COBRA or Cal-Cobra notices, or a HIPP notice when laying off employees. What are the consequences to the employer?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Under California law, employers are required to provide employees with certain notices and information related to their employment status, benefits, and rights. Failure to provide these notices can result in legal consequences for the employer.

Specifically, an employer's failure to provide a notice of change in relationship can result in penalties of up to $100 per employee per pay period, up to a maximum of $4,000 per employee.

Failure to provide a COBRA or Cal-Cobra notice can result in legal liability for the employer and potential penalties of up to $110 per day for each violation.

Failure to provide a HIPP notice can result in legal liability for the employer and potential penalties of up to $100 per day for each violation.

If an employer fails to provide the "For your benefit" packet or other required notices related to unemployment insurance, the employer may be subject to penalties or legal liability.

Overall, the consequences for an employer's failure to provide these notices can include legal liability, penalties, and potential financial damages. If you have not received required notices from your employer, it may be helpful to consult with an experienced employment law attorney who can advise you on your legal rights and options.

If you need legal assistance, contact my office. We offer a free consultation option for potential clients.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.