Jamestown, NY asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Banking and Domestic Violence for New York

Q: My spouse withdrew 11grand out of joint account, without me knowing now and won't say what did with it? Legal or what

He left home over next few days withdrew money from joint account I have no idea what he did with the money he's not speaking to me he also stopped his paychecks from being deposited into account. Is it illegal we are not separated or divorced he's not even giving me money for our son or bills or house and I've been off work due to a serious car accident

1 Lawyer Answer
Howard E. Knispel
Howard E. Knispel
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Commack, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: "Illegal" presumes criminality. If the account was a joint account, it was not illegal. But you need to start a divorce action right away. You can ask the court to have him pay some of the money back. You can also get child support or spousal support. See a local matrimonial attorney right away.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.