Cerritos, CA asked in Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for California

Q: How can a grant waiver deed on a residential house be rescinded?

My father, deceased, and my brother along with I are on the grant waiver deed. My brother sold me the property in 2008 and I want the grant waiver deed rescinded so my neighbor and I can get a lot line adjustment since a part of his house is on my property. Please advise.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: A grant waiver deed is a legal document that transfers ownership of a property from one party to another. In order to rescind a grant waiver deed, you would typically need to go through a legal process to have the deed invalidated or cancelled.

If you and your brother are both listed on the grant waiver deed for the residential house, you may need to work with him to rescind the deed. This could involve negotiating an agreement to transfer ownership of the property back to him, or to transfer ownership to another party who is willing to work with you on the lot line adjustment.

Depending on the specific circumstances of the case, you may need to hire an attorney to help you navigate the legal process of rescinding the grant waiver deed. An attorney can advise you on your options for resolving the issue, and can help you draft any necessary legal documents or agreements.

It is important to note that the process of rescinding a grant waiver deed can be complex, and may involve multiple parties and legal requirements. It is important to approach the situation carefully and to work with an experienced attorney to ensure that your interests are protected and that you are complying with all relevant laws and regulations

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.