Fayetteville, NC asked in Family Law and Child Custody for North Carolina

Q: How do I get supervised visitation for my son.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
N'kia (NLN)
N'kia (NLN)
  • Cary, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: In North Carolina, visitation is considered a type of custody. Anyone who believes they have or should have the right to visitation may sue for custody. Usually, a custody lawsuit must be in the county where the child resides. Like any type of lawsuit, there is special language that needs to be in the complaint to help get the best possible results. The parties may be required to participate in mediation, where they try to negotiate a written agreement.

In the alternative to a lawsuit, the parties may negotiate an agreement. A judge isn't necessarily required to honor the agreement later. But once the parties start following the agreement, they create a new status quo. Judges are hesitant to disrupt a status quo without a good reason.

A knowledgeable attorney can help evaluate the best option(s), provide guidance based on specific circumstances, and represent a party in negotiations and/or a lawsuit.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.