Brooklyn, NY asked in Civil Litigation, Environmental and Small Claims for New York

Q: There's a small furniture store that has been running a loud generator and disturbing the neighborhood in their alleyway

My backyard and home is directly next to the alleyway. They have been running the generator since October 2022, its loud and annoying and is usually on for 7-8 hours daily. The odd thing is, the store is usually closed but the generator is turned on daily. I have lived in my home for nearly 30 years and never had such an annoying issue from the alleyway. I've made noise complaints many times but it doesn't do anything. The noise is making myself and other neighbors uncomfortable in our homes, its interfering with our daily lives. For eight hours we are held prisoner by the constant sound of a loud generator in our ears. We just want some peace and to be able to take naps during the day again. We can't even go into our backyard. I do not know why the owners of the store do not get the electrical issue fixed.

Is there anything I can do to get back our peace? Making noise complaints to the police is doing nothing. Who can force them to fix the problem?

1 Lawyer Answer
Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Call 311 in NYC. The Department of Buildings can issue a violation.

Peter J. Weinman agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.