Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

New York Environmental Questions & Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Civil Rights, Environmental and Federal Crimes for New York on

Q: What did you major in for your BA/BS? Was it a BA or BS? When did you know you wanted to be a lawyer?

I just switched my education path to Political Science and wondering where I can take it

Gary Kollin answered on Jul 7, 2019

This not a legal question

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Environmental and Health Care Law for New York on

Q: Hi good morning I'm trying to get out of my apartment lease and the building has a lot of black mold

I've been living in my apartment for 3 years and I've had black mold 4 times. all of this is documented as well. For the past few times that I've had mold ive been ignored for months about maintenance being done for my apartment. Ik that black mold falls under the tenants responsibility to make... Read more »

Michael David Siegel answered on Jun 6, 2019

See if the landlord will just consent. Make sure you have documented what you posted here in writing to the landlord with proof of delivery. If you just leave, and are sued for breach, you will have a defense. Also, call the City to issue a violation, which will support your case.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Personal Injury, Products Liability and Environmental for New York on

Q: To whom it may concern< I have lived in Scotia, NY for 36 years and would like to sue the village of Scotia.

I am now 64 years old and at the age of 58 was diagnosed with severe Osteoporosis (i was told i have the bones of an 80 year old. I have seen several specialists who have no idea why I should have such a severe case. I do not smoke and i rarely drink. However, Scotia does fluoridate its water... Read more »

Timur Akpinar answered on Sep 25, 2018

These types of cases could be complex, because of the level of scientific and medical expertise required. If you yourself are contemplating legal action, a consultation with an attorney could enable you to learn, at the very least, time tables, deadlines, statutes of limitations, and notices of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Environmental for New York on

Q: I'm buying a home. Seller must remove moldy basement floor. Agent says he doesn't have to replace only remove. True?

Basement is moldy including wood flooring. Seller agreed to remediate mold.

Michael David Siegel answered on Aug 5, 2018

Whatever your contract says is what he must do.

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning and Environmental for New York on

Q: Thousands of rr ties on property in Ontario Co NY purchased approx 10 years ago.

DEC or EPA says they have to be removed Need advise on removal and who pays. What to do if they cannot pay??

Greta Katrin Kolcon answered on Feb 22, 2018

Historically, railroad ties were often treated with creosote to preserve wood from rotting quickly. The EPA has determined that coal tar creosote is a probable human carcinogen, meaning that it is an agent directly involved in causing cancer.

Although there are special rules for railroads...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Environmental and Juvenile Law for New York on

Q: My 16 yr old son is visiting me in hyde park from Florida and shot a Canadian goose with a bb gun and killed it.


Aubrey Claudius Galloway answered on Aug 9, 2017

I I'm quite familiar with this type of matter. It is a very complicated issue with far reaching conclusions most people are able to see ( future ability to get into college/get a job/obtain professional license.

One of my passions is juvenile law because I wasn't an angel growing up and...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Constitutional Law, Environmental and International Law for New York on

Q: i have an academic question about intl law and treaties which might not have a certain answer:

As we know intl law and treaties have been created so as to regulate relation between intl community members(countries and intl organization) ,through which they would be able to achieve golas that have been conceived in different treaties and documents such as Un charter , environmental agreements... Read more »

Barry Eran Janay answered on Aug 9, 2017

This is a legal Q&A board, not a forum for expressing philosophical views on world politics and international relations.

2 Answers | Asked in Workers' Compensation and Environmental for New York on

Q: now retired NYC teacher How long do I have to sue dept of ed due to serious health issues caused by toxic environment

Low levels of asbestos was found in my classroom and other teachers also became diagnosed with autoimmune diseases. I am recovering from a double lung transplant and I can never go back to work.

Ali Shahrestani, Esq. answered on Jan 30, 2017

You might have to file an administrative complaint immediately. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on my law practice website. I practice law in CA, NY, MA,... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Environmental and Landlord - Tenant for New York on

Q: NYC Warranty of Habitability & Rats in the Walls/Radiators

Since I moved into my apartment back in March, there have been rats living in my walls/ceiling (in my basement) that I hear non-stop, daily. I believe they were able to get in due to construction that is occurring on a new building next door (owned by the same owners of my building). Despite this,... Read more »

Ali Shahrestani, Esq. answered on Jan 23, 2017

You may be able to sue the landlord. You may be able to breach the lease agreement and move out. It depends on the facts. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.