Grovetown, GA asked in Landlord - Tenant for Maryland

Q: My daughter has an issue with rodents in her apartment. After 3 wks of run around she gave 30 day now they want 60!!

We have tried to be patient with the scheduling but many times they do not show up or its a week later. My daughter hears the rodents in her kitchen nightly! She decided to give her 30 day notice and move. The manager states she has to give 60 days notice therefore locking here into an apartment that she has no choice but to move from because it is NASTY WITH RODENTS. I am looking for a lawyer as the Manager is not helpful and hung up on me when i asked for her boss' name for escalation.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cedulie Renee Laumann
Cedulie Renee Laumann
  • Crownsville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Generally speaking the right to get out of a lease is set by the lease.

That said, Maryland offers a procedure called "rent escrow" when a landlord refuses to repair serious issues. Although the landlord may not voluntarily let a tenant out of a lease early, if the conditions are bad enough the court could offer a variety of relief such as reduced rent. The extent of the problem may affect how the court perceives the situation and what relief is offered- for example, an occasional mouse or two might not render a property unfit for living, but an extreme and documented case of rodent infestation that a landlord refuses to address might.

A rent escrow action is filed in the District Court for the county where the property is located. The courts offer a free informational video for more information:

While not legal advice specific to your situation, I hope that this information helps!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.