Smithfield, NC asked in Family Law and Child Custody for North Carolina

Q: I filed to register a foreign order in smithfield do I need to wait for a court date to file a motion to show cause ?

I have custody and my exwife violates the court order constantly

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
N'kia (NLN)
N'kia (NLN)
  • Cary, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: When registration papers are filed to register a foreign order, the only issue the new state will usually deal with is whether or not to register the order. Meanwhile, the other state still has jurisdiction over the order until the new state decides that the "foreign" order is now a "domestic" order.

In North Carolina, there might not be a court date unless there's actually a reason for a hearing. For example, if the other party has a reasonable objection to the order being registered, then there would likely be a court date for a hearing on the objection.

You may want to consult with a knowledgeable attorney who can walk you through the process and help assess your options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.