Raleigh, NC asked in Family Law, Adoption and Child Custody for North Carolina

Q: My parents adopted my cousin and they live in Georgia. I want to take custody of her and move her to NC with me. Can I?

She is 16 years old. I am 28 and married. I have a 2 bedroom apartment. My parents are willing to let her go, just not to me. I want to be able to register her in school here in NC. What can I legally do to help her. She is being abused and neglected. CPS has already been called, but my parents lied to them. How can I become her legal guardian?

1 Lawyer Answer
N'kia (NLN)
N'kia (NLN)
  • Cary, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: You may want to speak with attorneys who practice in Georgia. Although there's always room for exceptions, the laws of the state where the child resides usually govern.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.