El Paso, TX asked in Personal Injury and Products Liability for Texas

Q: My loved one was hurt due to an adverse reaction to a medication would he be able to push the case in a different state?

Aprox early 2018 he had a severe adverse reaction to a medication he was prescribed and only recently has become mentally cognizant enough to realize how badly he was hurt. He wishes to push a case forward against the manufacturer but every lawyer we've talked to has had completely differing opinions and have given us conflicting information. What I want to know is if he can push the case in a state other then Texas due to the manufacturer being in a different state, how the loopholes work with the statute of limitations as he has only been mentally able to grasp everything very recently, and any other information that might be crucial to a case like this. Thank you

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Products Liability Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Texas attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for a week. The type of case you describe is sometimes handled as part of a multidistrict litigation (involving various courts nationwide). These cases are sometimes complex in terms of venue (the issue of which district court a case would be filed in).

That could be part of the confusion with differing opinions you were told from various attorneys. One option is to reach out to law firms that handle cases for the medication involved. Although many firms handle product liability cases, some firms out there specialize in specific medications or consumer products. That's a considerable period of time that elapsed, and it's something to discuss with law firms you reach out to. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.