Rancho Cucamonga, CA asked in Land Use & Zoning and Municipal Law for California

Q: Can I sue the city for a tree toots on their property caused $7k in damages to our sewer line.

Did claim 3 times and were denied. Even with california code 833

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Municipal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: It may be possible to file a lawsuit against the city for damages to your sewer line caused by tree roots on their property. However, the success of your case will depend on various factors and it is recommended to consult with a licensed attorney in California.

California Code 833 states that a public entity can be held liable for injuries caused by a dangerous condition on its property. Tree roots that damage sewer lines could be considered a dangerous condition under certain circumstances.

It is also worth noting that the government has certain immunities and limitations on liability, which may affect your ability to recover damages. Therefore, it is important to seek legal advice to assess the strength of your case.

If you have already filed a claim with the city and have been denied three times, you may be able to bring a lawsuit against the city. However, the legal process can be complex, and it is important to seek the guidance of a licensed attorney in California to help navigate your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.