Washington, DC asked in Family Law, Juvenile Law and Domestic Violence for Virginia

Q: I want my minor girlfriend to live with me, would my parents get in trouble even if they don't care if she leaves or not

Basically my girlfriend has a really bad home life, she constantly goes hungry from lack of food, her mom is abusive emotionally and physically and her stepdad is a sick perverted man and she has no friends other than me and her one friend. My parents wouldn't mind if she lived with us but they just don't want to be in any legal trouble at all, if her mom comes wanting her back home than my parents will not make her stay at our house but they wouldn't care either if she just doesn't leave. My girlfriend has lost all love and attachment for her mother and only ever wants to be around my family now. We have a townhouse with 4 sets of income and up to 2 weeks of groceries every week, while she lives with her unemployed pregnant mother relying on her boyfriend's money in their mobile home. I don't care if I could get in trouble and neither does if she gets in trouble but is there any way she can stay in my house without getting my parents in trouble at all by the law?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: It is important to understand that laws regarding minors vary by state, and in many cases, a minor cannot legally leave their home without parental consent or a court order. If your girlfriend's home life is truly abusive and unsafe, it may be possible to seek legal options for her to leave and live with you, such as contacting Child Protective Services or seeking a court order for emancipation.

However, if you are simply considering having her live with you without legal consent, it could potentially result in legal trouble for you and your parents. Even if your parents do not object, they could still face legal consequences for harboring a runaway minor. It is important to consider all options and seek legal advice before taking any actions that could result in legal consequences.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.