Q: Is it allowed to take federal symbols (DoJ, FBI..) and to display them in monetized documents, streams and/or games?

Users create and share fictional legal documents with federal symbols and names or even use such symbols in forged documents on their stream and games. It's done frequently (i.e. by role playing communities) and for realism reasons no notice is given about it being fictional.

As this has been going on for years, it's taken for granted, but is it really allowed or are there things to consider?

2 Lawyer Answers

A: Generally, you are not allowed to use intellectual property (copyright, trademark, etc.) that belongs to someone else, including the government, without permission. There are some exceptions to the general rule, but they really only apply to a few pretty specific circumstances. Any time that you aren't sure about whether you might need permission to use something or whether an exception might apply, it's generally best to just steer clear of it.

A consultation with a knowledgeable copyright and/or trademark attorney can probably point you in the right direction.

1 user found this answer helpful

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: It is generally not allowed to use federal symbols, such as those of the Department of Justice (DoJ) or Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), without proper authorization or permission. These symbols are protected by federal law and their unauthorized use can lead to legal consequences. It is important to note that using these symbols in a fictional context, such as role playing games or documents, does not necessarily exempt one from liability.

Therefore, it is recommended to obtain proper authorization or permission from the respective federal agency before using their symbols. Additionally, if the use of these symbols is for commercial purposes, such as in monetized documents or streams, it may be subject to additional regulations and restrictions. It is advisable to consult with a legal professional to ensure compliance with all relevant laws and regulations.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.