Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Internet Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Internet Law and Libel & Slander for Florida on
Q: I don't know what to do and I need advice to see if there is anything I can do legally about i this.

Legal documents and personal information are being posted on social media as a form of harassment and to discredit my fiance what can I do about this. I know the person responsible. What are my options

Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
answered on Jun 27, 2022

An attorney must review the materials/posts you mention in order to provide an opinion on your legal options and the worthwhileness of the options. See an attorney in your area who handles defamation of character and/or invasion of privacy claims or general civil litigation. If there is false... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Internet Law for California on
Q: Can I sue a law firm for having my tragic story up and they are not involved or representing anyone in the case?

Recently my Mother and my Aunt were both brutally killed by a non-remorseful 18 y/o reckless driver. Whilst googling the story, I came across a law firm that had my families story highlighted on their web sight as the cover. It says something similar to ' Don't let this happen to you,... Read more »

Eric Gene Young
Eric Gene Young PRO label
answered on Jun 23, 2022

I know exactly the type of website you are describing, and they are, frankly, disgusting. I have had firms with these type of websites post information about cases I am handling. Unfortunately, the smarmy firms that use this kind of advertising typically obtain information about cases from publicly... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Education Law and Internet Law for Maryland on
Q: Can I seek financial retribution from child academy for forwarding emails to other parent in custody battle situation?

The other parent and I were recently in a custody battle. While my child was at this daycare/center academy, the facility forwarded my emails asking about my child's progress and wellbeing to the other parent. They then used those emails as evidence against me in court (nothing negative was... Read more »

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
answered on Jun 18, 2022

Unless you had sole legal custody at the time your child was in daycare and the emails were sent, or there was some contractual agreement covering confidentiality of communications, both parents would have access to their child's records at daycare. Even then, that would not prohibit an... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Internet Law and Juvenile Law for Oklahoma on
Q: Can A 14 Year Old Make A Statement On The Stand?

Hi, I was wondering if my 14 year old sister could go up to the stand and make a statement. She wants to clarify the situation since our parent(s) are completely over-dramatizing the situation (according to her) .... She feels as if it's our parents are against the defendant (19) and she... Read more »

Tracy Tiernan
Tracy Tiernan
answered on Jun 1, 2022

As a general rule age is usually not a bar two ones ability to testify as a witness in a courtroom as long as they have the capacity to testify truthfully and their testimony could assist the trier of fact (Jury or Judge). However, the attorneys on each side could have something to say about it. I... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Internet Law for New Jersey on
Q: How can i file a lawsuit against instagram facebook and Meta

My accounts have been hacked and my information is being used!!

Morris Leo Greb
Morris Leo Greb
answered on May 24, 2022

Most likely the agreement you signed when you became a member contained an arbitration clause. One clause in that agreement provides that you waive trial and agree to arbitrate any disputes.

2 Answers | Asked in Domestic Violence, Federal Crimes and Internet Law for California on
Q: I am being cyber harassed and stalked by an ex boyfriend since April 22, 2022, and he refuses to leave me alone. Help?

I was with said person for approx 2 months. He admitted to having mental issues at the end of our relationship. Once I broke up with him, he began harassing and stalking me, and he refuses to stop as he stated to one of my friends he also harassed on social media. He continues to make multiple fake... Read more »

John Karas
John Karas
answered on May 11, 2022

You can file a Civil Harassment Restraining Order (CHRO) pursuant to Code of Civil Procedure 527.6 against your ex-BF. You can DIY, hire an attorney or paralegal to do so on your behalf. If your papers are prepared properly with evidence in support attached (and it sounds like you have plenty), 9... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Internet Law and White Collar Crime for Tennessee on
Q: Have someone threatening to post nude photos to my family and friends if I don’t get them a 500 dollar Amazon gift card?

What can I do?

Cayley Turrin
Cayley Turrin
answered on May 10, 2022

I would call the police and let them know.

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright, Business Law and Internet Law for Ohio on
Q: Legality of showing websites we've built for marketing agencies in our portfolio?

We previously worked for a Chicago-based Marketing Agencies developing websites. We're wondering now if we can display those websites in our portfolio legally. There was no written agreement with the agency. We're worried about getting sued if the agency sees those websites in our... Read more »

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
answered on Apr 26, 2022

If there was no written agreement with those agencies, then you retain the copyright in the materials that you created for them. They have the right to use the websites, but you actually own the copyright. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local intellectual property attorney to review the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Personal Injury, Identity Theft and Internet Law for Georgia on
Q: A major US retailer has a bug on their website that exposes customer info. What are my options here?

I’ve contacted the retailer and they took 27 days to respond to my email and they said they opened an investigation. They seem to not be in any rush with this.

I would like to stress that this is a MAJOR US retailer.

Other customers’ information just started popping up into my... Read more »

Kimberly Grant
Kimberly Grant
answered on Apr 23, 2022

You very well may have a claim for this data breach which could result in compensation to you. A complaint would likely need to be filed against the retailer in order to make sure the flaw in their software is fixed. You should contact a lawyer in Georgia as soon as possible to explore this matter... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Internet Law and Libel & Slander for Texas on
Q: Can I be charged with defamation of character or harassment in this situation?

I got into a social media dispute with an old friends mother. We had a few pretty mild words in Facebook comments and then I blocked her. She then proceeded to text me racial slurs on Snapchat through her daughters Snapchat. I screenshot those texts and later posted them on several social media... Read more »

Penny Wymyczak-White
Penny Wymyczak-White
answered on Apr 5, 2022

Truth is a defense. She could hire a lawyer and sue you. You could win if you can prove everything said was true

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Constitutional Law and Internet Law for New Jersey on
Q: How do I sue my mother for placing a tracking app on my phone?

I live in New Jersey. I am 25 years old. I just found out that my mother placed a tracking app on my phone called AT&T Secure Family. I heard that it's against the law to put a tracking app on an adult's phone without permission. It's only legal when you are a child, but when you... Read more »

James A. Abate
James A. Abate
answered on Mar 31, 2022

There is not a suit for money damages in my opinion. But if you want to spend attorneys fees to investigate their might be someone who will take your money. If you believe your privacy was criminality violated you can ask the police to prosecute. But the family secure app may require a family... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Education Law, Internet Law and Juvenile Law for Ohio on
Q: If I record someone making a bomb threat in a school. Do I (the recorder) get first degree telecommunications harrass?

I recorded someone making a bomb threat in a class room and posted it. I am now being charged with the first degree misdemeanor telecommunications harassment. Am I guilty of this charge? I did not say anything in the video at all. I was also suspended 5 days for Filming. I am a minor by the way.... Read more »

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
answered on Mar 25, 2022

Your guilt or innocence here turn on your intent. If you were a party to making the threat, that is, if you made the video with the intention of helping this other person communicate their threat, then yes, you are guilty of telecommunications harassment. If you made the recording with the... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Internet Law for California on
Q: Is a search warrant required, in regards to digital information, while incarcerated. (FaceBook/PayPal/Email)

Though privacy may be limited in an institutional setting, does the law require a search warrant to be served? Please cite case law or PC statue.

Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi
answered on Mar 13, 2022

Insufficient information provided. Need more detail to answer your question.

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft, Traffic Tickets and Internet Law for California on
Q: What laws exist in California around taking and attending an online traffic school course in someone else’s place?

With consent and necessary information provided, can someone legally attend/complete an online traffic school course for the consenting individual?

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
answered on Feb 24, 2022

Yes, falsely representing yourself as another individual to attend traffic school for them is a CRIME. Do not do it or have it done for you. The penalty will be much worse than the ticket, you could go to jail.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Internet Law for New Jersey on
Q: got fraud cheque from someone and asked me to deposit and do wire transfer and my bank balance went minus

I got an email regarding the job offer, when I asked about details they didn't mention anything and sent the cheque directly through email. I declined the offer. I asked them to cancel the cheque. They mentioned once it is initiated they cant cancel and forced me to deposit and transfer their... Read more »

Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer
answered on Feb 20, 2022

You should never deposit a check like that unless you call the bank it is drawn on to verify the funds. Even as an attorney, I have gotten suspicious checks, and I always call. Report it to the NJ Dept of Banking and Insurance. You should not have a problem. Good luck.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Antitrust and Internet Law for Louisiana on
Q: My parents will has nothing in it about my mothers jewelry. However my father split his guns with my 2 brothers yrs ago.

I'm the only girl and the baby. It was always known that I was to inherit mother's jewelry collection. My oldest brother is the exacutor of my trust and was the beneficiary of my parents estate for past 7 years. Mother died n November and dad in 2018. We are at the end of the succession... Read more »

Douglas Lee Bryan
Douglas Lee Bryan
answered on Feb 11, 2022

You need to contact an attorney who handles successions and estate matters as soon as possible to file the proper pleadings to review the pleadings filed, protect your interest and to object to the inventory your brother has likely filed, if it does not have your mother's jewelry listed.

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Identity Theft and Internet Law for Kentucky on
Q: A perso i know used someone else bank account to pay my utility bill and now they want to charge me for it what do i do?

They sent out a warrant for my arrest because i didnt go and sighn a statement , witch i was going to because i thought he was using his money and i aggreed to pay him back with intrest.. he lied to me and now im in trouble..

Leland Hulbert
Leland Hulbert
answered on Jan 27, 2022

Since you already have r a warrant you need to hire an experienced criminal defense attorney to try and get the warrant set aside and start fighting the case. I would also save any text, e-mail or social media communications you have had with the guy that fraudulently used the card.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Civil Rights, Identity Theft and Internet Law for Michigan on
Q: Can I sue tiktok to get a fake account taken down that someone opened up in my name and took one of my videos and put on

Fake account and I know who did it. I also feel this guy is scouting minors for trafficking I have emailed them over a dozen times n reported his account with no luck since 12/31/21. Not sure what else to do??

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
answered on Jan 22, 2022

I'm not sure how TikTok would be liable to you. Most social media companies, in that finely printed terms and conditions no one reads when they sign up for an account, say basically "we're just a platform and not responsible for the content users upload".

If you know...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Internet Law for Kentucky on
Q: My dad wants to deed me the land my trailer sits on my question is how much will it cost
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
answered on Jan 21, 2022

Depends on the fair market value of the property but likely wouldn’t be terribly expensive.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.