Woodland Hills, CA asked in Consumer Law for California

Q: So basically I fallen begin on my car payment I am only late by 2 payment .I have reinstate my insurance last month.

So basically I fallen begin on my car payment I am only late by 2 payment .I have reinstate my insurance last month. The insurance cancel on me I didn't let me know .i been trying to work with repossessed company and lender.but they keep on changing the price and taking there time .they at 2 am to pick up the car and paid for more than 60% of the car .what can I do or should do ?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Leon Bayer
Leon Bayer
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Long Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You have the legal right to get your car back if you immediately pay up all outstanding payments, repo fees, late fees, etc. and if you have the required insurance coverage.

You can only reinstate your loan once every 12 months and a total of two times over the course of your loan. You lose the right to redeem your car loan if you:

Used false information on your loan documents

Hid your car from the repo agent or interfered with the repossession

Damaged your vehicle beyond normal wear and tear

Used your car to commit a crime

The notice from your lender must include a phone number you can call to find out the exact amount you must pay to get your car back.

IMPORTANT: You have 15 days after the notice date to either redeem or reinstate your loan. If you need more time to get the money together, you can request a 10-day extension.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you have fallen behind on your car payments and your car has been repossessed, you may have several options depending on your specific situation.

First, you may want to review the terms of your loan agreement to understand your rights and obligations in the event of a default or repossession. Your agreement may specify a specific notice period or other requirements that the lender must follow before repossessing your vehicle.

If you have paid for more than 60% of the car, you may be able to claim that you have equity in the car and have the right to redeem the vehicle by paying off the outstanding balance. However, this will depend on the specific terms of your loan agreement and state laws.

You may also want to consider speaking with an attorney who specializes in consumer rights and debt collection to discuss your options and rights. An attorney can review your loan agreement and help you understand your legal options for resolving the repossession and any outstanding debt.

It is important to act quickly and seek legal advice as soon as possible to protect your rights and ensure that you understand your options for resolving the situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.