Asked in Family Law, Real Estate Law and Elder Law for Ohio

Q: Can i have my sister removed from my home and reported her elderly abuse.

I own a house in Ohio that my parents are currently living in. I live in Texas. My father is on hospice and my mother just recently had a partial foot amputation. My sister decided to use FMLA to stay and take care of them, well mainly to take care of my dad. She is now terrorizing the home. I need to legally put her out the home asap. She has her own place that she is renting she doesn't stay with them every night. She is stealing money, threating my mom. My mom is afraid to speak in front of her and afraid to call the police for fear my sister will retaliate. My sister was constantly using my mom's debit card without her permission. I had my mom cancel the card after my sister spent close to $300 in one day without her permission but even with the card canceled I am getting alerts that my sister is still trying to use the card. She's threatening to take my dad away from my mom and to move his social security check to another account if my mom doesn't give him cash.

1 Lawyer Answer
Nicholas P. Weiss
Nicholas P. Weiss pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Cleveland Heights, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Call Ohio adult protective services ASAP:

If she doesn't actually live there, then change the locks and lock her out. She is not a tenant and not subject to Ohio tenant protections. Call the police as well and report her for trespassing.

Andrew Popp agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.