Montgomery, TX asked in Family Law and Social Security for Texas

Q: Can a grandmother leave survivors benefits without having legally adopted them. She raised them and has sole custody

In texas

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Texas, a grandmother can leave survivors benefits to her grandchildren without legally adopting them. However, in order to do so, the grandmother would need to establish legal guardianship or custody of the grandchildren through the courts. This would give her the legal authority to make decisions on behalf of the children and receive benefits on their behalf. Without legal guardianship or custody, the grandmother would not have the authority to receive survivors benefits on behalf of the grandchildren. It's important to consult with an attorney experienced in family law to understand the specific legal options and requirements in this situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.