Kannapolis, NC asked in Child Custody and Family Law for North Carolina

Q: If a man abandons or signs over his rights to a previous daughter, will a judge grant custodial rights of our children?

He was physically active in his previous daughters life for several years then decided to sign over rights because he did not want to pay child support. WE ARE LOCATED IN NC

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
N'kia (NLN)
N'kia (NLN)
  • Cary, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: A judge will look at the totality of the circumstances and decide what's in the "best interest" of the child who is the subject of the custody litigation. In theory, terminating a parent's rights for one child could be in that child's best interest, while giving the same parent full custody of another child could be in that child's best interest. The father should consider consulting with an attorney to discuss his specific situation in detail.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.