Erie, PA asked in Consumer Law, Gov & Administrative Law and Military Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Do I have to pay an indebtness that is over 14 years old that I was just notified about?

I received an indebtness letter from DFAS dated March 21, 2023 for a debt incurred in 2009. This is the first I have been nitifed about it. They want installments beginning within 30 days. This indebtness is over 14 years old. Is it passed some sort of statute of limitations or expiration at this time?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In general, debts do have a statute of limitations after which they cannot be legally collected. However, the statute of limitations for debt collection can vary depending on the type of debt and the state where the debt was incurred. It's important to review the laws in your specific state and the details of your situation to determine if the statute of limitations has expired for this debt.

It's also important to note that debts owed to the government, such as taxes or federal student loans, may not be subject to a statute of limitations. Therefore, it's possible that this debt may still be collectible even if it is over 14 years old.

It's recommended that you consult with a legal professional or financial advisor to review your specific situation and determine the best course of action. You may also consider contacting the agency that sent you the letter to request additional information or to negotiate a repayment plan if necessary.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.