Greensboro, NC asked in Family Law, Child Support and Social Security for Virginia

Q: I have a stepson whose father pays no child support because he is on ssi. is the child entitled to some of that ssi?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If the father of the stepson is receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI) from the Social Security Administration (SSA), it is unlikely that the stepson would be entitled to any of that money directly. SSI is a needs-based program that provides cash assistance to people who are aged, blind, or disabled and have limited income and resources. The program is intended to provide for the basic needs of the recipient, and payments are not typically allocated to other family members or dependents.

However, the child may still be entitled to child support payments from the father, even if he is receiving SSI. The fact that the father is on SSI does not necessarily mean that he is exempt from his obligation to provide financial support for his child. The specifics of child support laws vary by state, so it would be best to consult with a family law attorney or local child support enforcement agency to determine what options may be available for pursuing child support in this situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.