St. Cloud, FL asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Florida

Q: Can I be forced to pick up my son from school even though it’s 89miles away from my house?

We have a LDPP in place filed at the court house. BioMom wants to change it forcing me to pick up my son from school on Fridays instead of our current agreement of meeting halfway. They live 89 miles away from me (they moved before we filed the LDPP). Will a judge favor her choice? And can she change the original agreement without any substantial changes on her part? She is also wanting child support even though we both signed that neither would fight for it.

1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You raise two separate issues. As far as the exchange goes, if you previously agreed to meet halfway and have been doing that then the court will probably follow that arrangement. Child support is the right of the child under the law and cannot be waived by the parents. The court will address child support in some fashion. Because you have a long distance parenting plan, if appropriate, you can offset some of the child support obligation with your travel expenses. Speak with a local family lawyer for more specific advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.