Dallas, TX asked in Contracts and Divorce for Illinois

Q: Can my parents enter me (adult child) into a contractual obligation within their divorce decree without my signature?

In my parents divorce decree they entered me into obligation to pay 1/3 of my college. The other third being paid by my dad and the other my mother. Is this obligation legally binding if I never signed anything agreeing to this obligation and that they agreed to it on my behalf even though I was over 18 at the time?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
J. Richard Kulerski
J. Richard Kulerski
  • Oak Brook Terrace, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: It doesn't mean that you must pay one-third. It only requires your parents to pay one-third each. Their respective obligations are capped at one-third each. The court had no jurisdiction over you and could not order you to do anything.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.