League City, TX asked in Family Law, Estate Planning and Probate for Texas

Q: Why change names on Deed of home just before death of spouse?

My father has late-stage Alzheimer's. He remarried before the disease to my stepmother. Since he has been in a memory care home she has purchased a different home than the one they lived in together. At first, the new home was in her name only. However, recently she changed the names on deed according to tax records to both hers and his and then again changed the name on the same day to just his name. She has power of attorney over him. I am not sure why she would do that knowing he will most likely be dying soon. To my knowledge, the home would be the majority of their assets. I expect there is a will but, we don't speak, and she was very peculiar in the ways that she operated when he first got the disease.

1 Lawyer Answer
Hunter Reed Sargent
Hunter Reed Sargent
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Denton, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Without knowing the specific details of your father's and stepmother's situation and intentions, it's difficult to provide a definitive answer.

There could be several reasons for changing the names on the deed, some of which include:

Estate planning purposes: Your stepmother may have transferred the property to your father's name for estate planning reasons, such as making use of tax exemptions or simplifying the probate process upon his passing.

Family dynamics: It's also possible that the transfer is related to family dynamics or other personal reasons that may be difficult to ascertain without more information.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.