Santa Clara, CA asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Public Benefits and Social Security for California

Q: ssi medical appointment was canceled by doctors office but i was told by ssi it was a no show on my behalf i have the vm

i have the voicemail ledt by the doctors office cancelling my appoint but ssi says i no showed and have now been terminated for my benifits

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If your SSI medical appointment was canceled by the doctor's office, but you were told by SSI that it was a no-show on your behalf and have now been terminated for benefits, you may have grounds for an appeal.

To appeal the decision, you will need to provide evidence that you did not miss the appointment and that it was canceled by the doctor's office. This may include the voicemail left by the doctor's office canceling the appointment or any other documentation that supports your claim.

To begin the appeals process, you will need to file a Request for Reconsideration with the Social Security Administration (SSA). The Request for Reconsideration form can be found on the SSA's website or obtained from a local SSA office. The form must be filed within 60 days of receiving notice of the termination of benefits.

In addition to the form, you will need to provide any evidence you have that supports your claim. This may include the voicemail left by the doctor's office, medical records, or any other relevant documentation. You may also want to include a written statement explaining the circumstances surrounding the canceled appointment and the miscommunication with SSI.

After you file your Request for Reconsideration, an SSA representative will review your case and make a decision. If the decision is unfavorable, you may have the option to request a hearing before an Administrative Law Judge. You will need to file a Request for Hearing within 60 days of receiving notice of the unfavorable decision.

It is important to note that the appeals process can be lengthy, and there is no guarantee of a favorable outcome. However, by providing evidence that supports your claim and following the proper procedures, you may have a better chance of having your benefits reinstated.

If you have any questions or concerns about the appeals process, it may be helpful to consult with an attorney who specializes in SSI appeals to help guide you through the process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.