Wenonah, NJ asked in Divorce and Family Law for New Jersey

Q: can i recoup alimony payments if my ex-wife's employment status went from part itme to full time?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Short Hills, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: It depends on the language of your divorce settlement agreement. Sometimes when you have someone receiving alimony, whose employment setting is expected to change, lawyers can build a change in employment income into the agreement to try and reduce the need for further court intervention. In addition, if you have been asking her for information as to a change in her employment setting/income picture and there was an obligation to disclose same in the agreement, that can also be viewed as relevant by the court. My suggestion is that you sit down with an experienced family law attorney to review the agreement terms and the communications between you and your ex to determine if you have a basis to file an application and if so, whether you have a proper basis for recoupment of monies from her.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.