Fontana, CA asked in Criminal Law and Identity Theft for California

Q: My friend died of an overdose. His car, wallet and identification is missing. Can I report it stolen? CA

He was found under an overpass alone. The police tell me that I have to be family in order to report the car missing. Once they heard it was an overdose, they didn't care.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If your friend's car, wallet, and identification are missing and you believe they were stolen, you can report the theft to the police. The fact that your friend died of an overdose does not preclude you from reporting the theft, and the police should take your report seriously regardless of the circumstances.

While it's true that family members are typically the ones who report missing persons, anyone who has information about a crime or a missing person can report it to the police. In fact, reporting the theft may be important in helping to identify the person or persons responsible for your friend's death and recovering any stolen property.

If the police are unresponsive or dismissive of your report, you may want to consider contacting a local advocacy group or civil rights organization for assistance. These organizations can provide guidance and support for reporting crimes and asserting your rights as a victim or concerned citizen.

It's important to remember that reporting a theft or other crime is not only your right, but also a responsibility to help keep your community safe and prevent further harm.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.