Okemos, MI asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Michigan

Q: How do I find out the name of the attorney who prepared my mother's will for her, so that I can retrieve a copy?

She'd showed it to me and told me where it was located in her home, along with her safe deposit box key. Now that she has passed away though, my stepfather has not filed it with the probate court, or given me a copy or discussed it with me. I am concerned...

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

A: There is no easy way to do this. You would need to ask someone who knows which attorney your mother used. That attorney may or may not still be alive and practicing law. That attorney may or may not have a copy of the will he/she drafted. If he/she does, it most likely will not be a signed copy. Finally, you will have to somehow persuade the attorney to breach client confidentiality and disclose whatever copy they have to you.

Your mother showed you where she keeps her safe deposit box and key so you would know where the signed will is in the event of her death. Retrieving the actual will from that box will be infinitely easier than trying to get a copy from an attorney whose identity you don’t know.

Brent T. Geers agrees with this answer

David Soble
David Soble
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Farmington Hills, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Short of calling every local law firm that does estate planning in her area, even if you find the attorney, they may not even have a signed copy of the will. A better use of your time would be to determine how assets would be disbursed as if she had passed intestate. Sometimes, the results of probating an estate intestate may lead to same results. I hope this helps. If you need further information, visit www.provenresource.com

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.