Hollywood, FL asked in Car Accidents, Insurance Bad Faith and Insurance Defense for Florida

Q: What can I do if my GAP insurance doesnt want to Cover my Balance after car accident

I recently obtained a car from a dealer in Miami Florida everything worked out and I got a loan approval from chase auto financing. It included GAP as per the dealer Chase wouldn’t provide me a loan without it. So that was on 1/2/23 of the year. I only drove the car for about a month or so and on 2/9/23 I was in a car accident and progressive said the car was totaled due to air bag deployment on both sides.so they settled their end but now the GAP company is saying that the balance on the account after progressive payment is too high and that progressive has made an error with calculating the value of the car. Long story short the balance left on the car is $7208 and the Company Doesn’t want to pay it even though I have a contract. The company is located in NJ named Dealer Protection Loyalty. And I’m in Florida which makes no sense since I don’t see any office or business here with their name yet they are allowed to sell insurance nationally. Ive tried to complain to the state but they

1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Frisco, TX

A: You can file a lawsuit for breach of contract or for declaratory relief against both Progressive and Dealer Protection Loyalty. I'd sue both because the GAP company may be right and Progressive may have undervalued what it should have paid.

When you're talking about only $7,208, they're going to settle pretty quickly once the lawyers get involved. There's just not enough money in dispute for them to screw with it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.