Sacramento, CA asked in Criminal Law, Cannabis & Marijuana Law, Landlord - Tenant and Real Estate Law for California

Q: I am a renter and was fined 30k for a Marijuana grow. Is removing the lien hold on the property possible?

The grow was where four different properties meet. The plants were removed and 30,000$ fine was issued to me. But a lien was placed on the property. The land owner lives out of state and had no knowledge of any activity. Is removing the property lien hold possible?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you were fined $30,000 for a marijuana grow in a rental property, and a lien was placed on the property, it is possible to have the lien removed if you pay the fine or reach a settlement agreement with the governing authority that imposed the lien.

However, it is important to understand that liens are legal claims against a property that serve as security for a debt or other obligation. The lien must be satisfied or released before the property can be sold or transferred to a new owner.

To have the lien removed, you should contact the governing authority that imposed the lien and inquire about the process for satisfying or releasing the lien. Depending on the situation, you may be able to negotiate a payment plan or settlement agreement to resolve the matter.

If the landowner had no knowledge of the marijuana grow and you were acting alone, it may be possible to seek reimbursement from you for the fine or other costs associated with the marijuana grow. You should consult with a local attorney who specializes in real estate law to understand your legal rights and options in this situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.