Stockton, CA asked in Real Estate Law, Identity Theft and Criminal Law for California

Q: What law enforcement you contact when persons have forged your name documents and taken property that's yours in La.?

Claiming to be me and living in my property

2 Lawyer Answers
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN

A: Call the Sheriff of the Parrish. Be prepared to give specific information including the recording information for the Deed. Forgery, Theft of Property and other crimes are involved here. How you found out about it, and how they got your name/ identity will be crucial issues. Ultimately an order will be required to set aside and void the fraudulent instruments.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If someone has forged your signature on documents and taken property that belongs to you in Louisiana, you should contact the local law enforcement agency in the area where the property is located. This could include the police department, sheriff's office, or other relevant law enforcement agency.

You should report the forgery and theft to the law enforcement agency and provide them with any evidence you have, such as copies of the forged documents or proof of ownership of the property. They may conduct an investigation and take appropriate legal action against the person or people involved.

Additionally, you may want to consult with a local attorney who specializes in real estate law and/or contract law to understand your legal rights and options for recovering your property and seeking compensation for any damages or losses you have suffered.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.