Charlotte, NC asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for North Carolina

Q: This girl has been stalking and harassing me for almost 3 years , She even made a fake dating profile using my images

What’s the best route to go

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
N'kia (NLN)
N'kia (NLN)
  • Cary, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: If you believe someone has committed a criminal offense against you, you could file a police report. (The police will then decide whether to bring charges and, if so, which ones.) If you believe someone has committed a civil offense against you, you could file a lawsuit. (You can usually file stalking or harassment cases with the county magistrate.)

However, you might want to start by consulting with an attorney about the specific facts of your situation. The attorney should be able to help you decide what kinds of claims you might be able to win on and how to pursue them.

Whatever you decide, be sure to pay close attention to the relevant statutes of limitations (which give filing deadlines for specific types of claims).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.