Fort Worth, TX asked in Personal Injury, Cannabis & Marijuana Law and Car Accidents for Texas

Q: I was in a car accident January 12, 2023. NOT my fault. Got arrested for marijuana.

I was at a complete stop when a truck hit me going 70 mph. I was injured cop asked me for my license which was in the car in hidden compartment. I had been given a nug (less then a gram) of weed, a grinder and a pipe the day before. I had it in my car because I was currently staying with a friend who had two kids. So I shoved it into two socks and into my hidden compartment I never touched it, I was honest and told cop I had something I’m not supposed to she explained she wasn’t worried about it. State trooper showed up and stated possession of marijuana was illegal. Never gave me a ticket or anything. Got a letter in the mail stating I have court for paraphernalia went to court got arrested for possession of marijuana went to jail. State trooper wrote a warrant for my arrest instead of ticket. Went to court got 12 month’s probation, 80 hours community service $100 fine court cost ($312) and a $115 drug abuse class. Never been in trouble with law before how is this right?

1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: It is typical for first time drug offenders to receive probation, community service, and a small fine.

While many people think that is just a slap on the wrist, other people find it is sufficient to deter future similar criminal behavior.

If you don’t feel the punishment is right, you should write your state legislator to suggest a change in the law.

Daniel Patrick Clancy agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.