Naperville, IL asked in Contracts and Consumer Law for Illinois

Q: If a dealership forgets to charge your $$ down and signed the contract already do you pay it or can I return the car?

Purchased a vehicle in IL over the wknd. I and they forgot about the $$ down payment. I signed the contracts. They called me up to request I pay it. Can I legally return the vehicle or do I have to pay the $$? I have it, just having buyers remorse and thought this might be a legal opportunity to return vehicle without issue.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: Thank you for the questions. I can't be certain unless I have read the contract. Did you read it in detail? Are there parts that you do not understand?

When you look closely at what they did charge you sure that the downpayment was not included?

People will ask me "How long do I have to return a car?" I understand buyer's remorse, but what doe the contract say? Is there a period of time? If so, follow that. Now if there is something wrong with the car, that may be a different story. There are Lemon Law Lawyers that deal with this issue all the time.

In regards to a "mistaken" lack of charging the card, well this depends on what you agreed to do. If they did not charge you and you agreed to pay it. you are in a legal relationship and contracted for the benefit of that amount. You most likely need to pay. Could you argue "Take me to court and take your car back?" you could but that could end up costing you if they do.

The best response, re-read the contract.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.