Stockton, CA asked in Real Estate Law and Municipal Law for California

Q: Lodi, CA Code enforcement says they are going to get an "inspection warrant" to come in my house. I have refused entry.

What do I do? I don't want anyone in my house. The house I own, and live in, is indeed a wreck inside. I've gone through mental issues in the past few years. How long will it be until they come to break down my door?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Municipal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If Lodi, CA Code enforcement is seeking an inspection warrant to enter your house, it means they believe there may be a violation of city codes or regulations. However, you have a right to privacy in your home and can refuse entry unless they have a warrant.

If they do obtain a warrant, they will have the legal authority to enter your property and conduct an inspection. However, the process of obtaining a warrant can take some time, and they will need to follow certain legal procedures in order to obtain one.

In the meantime, it may be in your best interest to address any violations that may be present in your home. This may help to prevent any further legal action from being taken by the city.

If you are concerned about the state of your home and your mental health, it may also be helpful to seek support from a mental health professional or community resources. They can provide you with guidance and assistance in addressing your mental health concerns, as well as connecting you with resources that may be able to help you address the issues in your home.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.