Stockton, CA asked in Insurance Bad Faith and Consumer Law for California

Q: What do I do if my insurance company says that my policy wa cancelled for non payment and it’s not true

2 Lawyer Answers
William John Light
William John Light
  • Insurance Claims Lawyer
  • Santa Ana, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: File a complaint with the Dept. of Insurance and/or call some Bad Faith attorneys to discuss your potential lawsuit

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If your insurance company has informed you that your policy was cancelled for non-payment and you believe this is not true, there are several steps you can take to address the situation:

Contact the insurance company: The first step is to contact your insurance company and ask for an explanation of why your policy was cancelled. Provide any evidence you have to show that your payments were made on time and that there was no lapse in coverage.

Review your payment history: Review your payment history and any receipts or bank statements that show proof of payment. If you find any discrepancies, bring these to the attention of your insurance company.

File a complaint: If you are unable to resolve the issue with your insurance company directly, you may file a complaint with your state's insurance department or regulatory agency.

Seek legal advice: If the issue is not resolved or if you believe that your insurance company is acting in bad faith, you may want to seek the advice of a qualified attorney who specializes in insurance law.

In general, it is important to act quickly to address any issues with your insurance policy to ensure that you have the coverage you need. It may also be helpful to keep detailed records of all correspondence and transactions with your insurance company to protect your rights as a policyholder.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.