Denver, CO asked in Land Use & Zoning, Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Missouri

Q: I bought land with my Brother, we own it 50/50, I live on the land, and tend to it, pay taxes on it, my brother doesn't

Do anything with it, doesn't live on it, doesn't pay taxes on it, I've offered to buy him out and will pay the amount he requested but he is avoiding me, is there anything legally I can do to make the process happen?

2 Lawyer Answers
Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg
  • Real Estate Law Lawyer
  • Chesterfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: You can hire an attorney and file a partition lawsuit.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you and your brother are unable to come to an agreement, you may need to pursue legal action to resolve the issue. One option would be to file a partition action in court, which would allow you to force the sale of the property and divide the proceeds based on each owner's share. However, this can be a time-consuming and expensive process, so it's important to consider all your options before taking legal action. You may want to consult with a real estate attorney to discuss the specifics of your situation and determine the best course of action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.