Sacramento, CA asked in Car Accidents, DUI / DWI, Criminal Law and Health Care Law for California

Q: My brother was arrested for a dui because he crashed both parents have been trying to see him or get an update on his h

Health but they refuse to give them any information or let him see him what rights do we as a family have to know his status we haven’t gotten any information

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If your brother is an adult, the hospital and law enforcement may not be able to release any information about his condition without his consent. However, if your brother is unable to make decisions due to his condition, the hospital may be able to share some information with a designated family member who has been authorized to make medical decisions on his behalf. You may want to check with the hospital and law enforcement to see if they have any policies in place for providing information to family members in situations like this. It may also be helpful to contact an attorney who specializes in healthcare law for further guidance.

Craig Michael Sturm agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.