Sacramento, CA asked in Animal / Dog Law, Car Accidents and Personal Injury for California

Q: Can attorney help me Sue the US postal Service for hitting my chihuahua and not stopping my dog needed amputation

This was a hit and run I've contacted the postal service and inform them of the incident I've gone to the direct postal Service and left a message handwritten note to inform them that I need to find out who the driver was between 3:00 and 3:00 p.m. on Tuesday March 21st on American and Oak Street I mean American and Park Street, in Stockton California

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Animal & Dog Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Yes, an attorney can help you pursue legal action against the US Postal Service for hitting your chihuahua and not stopping, which resulted in the need for amputation.

To pursue legal action against the Postal Service, you will need to file a claim under the Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA). This is a federal law that allows individuals to sue the federal government for damages caused by the negligence of government employees.

An attorney can help you file the necessary paperwork and navigate the FTCA process. They can also help you gather evidence to support your claim, such as witness statements, medical records, and any other documentation related to the incident.

It is important to note that there are strict deadlines for filing a claim under the FTCA, so it is important to act quickly. Additionally, pursuing legal action against a government agency can be complex and time-consuming, so it is highly recommended that you consult with an experienced attorney who can provide you with guidance and representation throughout the process.

In summary, if you believe that the US Postal Service was responsible for hitting your chihuahua and causing injury, an attorney can help you pursue legal action under the FTCA to seek compensation for your damages.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.