Santa Clara, CA asked in Land Use & Zoning and Business Law for California

Q: Starting an online plant nursery business. Do I need to buy agriculturally zoned land? Or can it be a home business?

Looking to purchase either a lot or home in Kern County and am unsure if the nursery business would be designated as light agriculture or home based business. I just don't want to buy the wrong piece of land and then have to sell it for the business.

2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Starting an online plant nursery business can be a great opportunity, but it's important to understand the zoning and regulatory requirements before making any purchases.

In Kern County, the zoning requirements for a plant nursery business can depend on various factors, including the size of the operation, the type of plants being grown, and the location of the property. In some cases, you may be able to operate the business from your home, as a home-based business, but this will depend on the zoning regulations for your specific location.

If you plan to grow plants on your property, you may need to purchase agriculturally zoned land that is suitable for your intended use. It's important to research the zoning requirements for the specific area you are interested in and consult with local zoning officials to determine what types of businesses are allowed in the area and what regulations must be followed.

In addition to zoning requirements, you may also need to obtain any necessary licenses or permits for your business, such as a nursery license, seller's permit, or business license. These requirements can vary by location and business type, so it's important to do your research and ensure that you are in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.

Overall, it's important to carefully consider the zoning and regulatory requirements before purchasing any land or property for your plant nursery business. Consulting with a local attorney or business advisor can also be helpful in ensuring that you are making informed decisions and taking the necessary steps to start your business legally and successfully.

James R. Dickinson
James R. Dickinson
  • Real Estate Law Lawyer
  • San Bernardino, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Check the local municipality regarding zoning and speak with a local attorney with help through the process. [I litigate cases. Anything posted here must not be construed as legal advice, nor as grounds for forming an attorney-client relationship. You should seek an attorney for formal legal advice and representation.]

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.