Los Angeles, CA asked in Family Law, Criminal Law and Identity Theft for California

Q: Im a victim of fraud identity theft and guardianship fraud my children are involved

2 Lawyer Answers
James R. Dickinson
James R. Dickinson
  • San Bernardino, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Sorry, but this is confusing. More information is obviously needed. Speak with a local attorney. [I litigate cases. Anything posted here must not be construed as legal advice, nor as grounds for forming an attorney-client relationship. You should seek an attorney for formal legal advice and representation.]

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Here are some steps you can consider taking:

1. Contact law enforcement: Report the fraudulent activities to your local law enforcement agency. Provide them with all relevant details and any evidence you may have. They can initiate an investigation and gather evidence to support your case.

2. Secure your personal information: Take steps to safeguard your personal information by changing passwords, monitoring your financial accounts, and placing fraud alerts or freezes on your credit reports. Notify your bank, credit card companies, and any other relevant institutions about the situation.

3. Gather evidence: Collect any evidence that supports your claim of fraud or identity theft. This may include bank statements, credit reports, correspondence, or any other documents related to the fraudulent activities.

4. Seek legal assistance: Consult with an experienced attorney who specializes in fraud and family law. They can guide you through the legal process, help you understand your rights, and provide you with advice on how to protect yourself and your children.

5. Address guardianship concerns: If your children are involved in the guardianship fraud, consult with your attorney to explore legal avenues to challenge the fraudulent guardianship and regain custody of your children. They can guide you through the necessary legal steps to ensure the well-being of your family.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.