Beaver Dam, WI asked in Criminal Law, Appeals / Appellate Law, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Colorado

Q: Sentencing in 5 weeks what post conviction motions can I file and do I do that myself or do I have to get an attorney?

My attorney throughout this has done nothing for me and now I'm due to be sentenced in 5 weeks. I have been found guilty in a jury trial of two counts of burglary, one count methamphetamine possession, one count THC possession misdemeanor, one count paraphernalia possession misdemeanor. Between my attorney and the district attorney My trial was a circus and I can't believe I was convicted on anything. I'm not just saying this I'm actually very serious. By the end of the trial the criminal complaint was not even in play and it got changed to something totally different than what I was even arrested for. During the trial timelines were changed, objections were not made, cross-examinations were not done that should have been done to impeach witnesses, false statements made false testimony being allowed to be presented and not corrected, threatened more charges if I proceeded with the trial, I have a list that goes on and on and I can't get any answers. Can someone please help me?

1 Lawyer Answer
Nelson Patrick Boyle
Nelson Patrick Boyle
  • Appeals & Appellate Lawyer
  • Englewood, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: I no longer practice criminal law. But your questions highlight why it’s vital to have an attorney to help navigate the legal process. The law is complex. The rules of procedure are complex. Good lawyers even sometimes make mistakes and get sued for malpractice—that’s why lawyers carry malpractice insurance. You should hire a lawyer or apply for a public defender, depending on your circumstances. Your liberty is at stake. It’s worth the cost of a good lawyer to protect your legal rights. (Of course, even the best of lawyers can’t stop the legal system, they sometimes can just protect your rights and help you make the best out of a difficult or bad situation.) Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.