Asked in Civil Litigation, Landlord - Tenant, Divorce and Family Law for Florida

Q: Can my husband evict me or sell the house without telling me, causing me and the children to have to move unexpectedly?

The house is in his name only but I am a successor in interest, he bought it when we were together but not yet married, I have been paying the mortgage by myself for over a year. What can I do to protect myself and kids from becoming homeless unexpectedly?

1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If you are married and living in the house then you have a marital interest in the house and cannot be evicted. Your remedy (protection) would be to file a divorce action in family court. This will help you enforce the legal rights of you and your children. Speak with a local family attorney for more specific advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.